Friday, March 30, 2012

The Moments Between...

Today on the drive home Dylan asked if the Easter Bunny was real.  I looked at him, and I it was in this moment I knew he knew and I knew the truth was deserving.  Then Dylan being the smart little guy he is he put it all together and he then went on to Santa and the Toothfairy.  So during that drive home we talked about the true meaning of these holidays but in the back of my mind I remembered this letter that another mom had written to her little girl about Santa.  When I see Dylan on Sunday this is what I will share with him. It is my revamped version of her letter.   I can't believe that this is here...time is so fast. 


Dylan,
Today on the drive home you asked if the Easter Bunny was real. I looked at you, and it was in this moment I knew you knew and I knew the truth was deserving, I really wanted to give the answer careful thought to know just what to say.
The answer is no. There is not an Easter Bunny and to answer your second question about Santa there is no there is no Santa.
I am the person who fills your stockings with presents, though. I also choose and wrap the presents under the tree, the same way my mom did for me, and the same way her mom did for her.
I imagine you will someday do this for your children, and I know you will love seeing them run down the stairs on Christmas morning. You will love seeing them sit under the tree, their small faces lit with Christmas lights.
This won’t make you Santa, though.
Santa is bigger than any person, and his work has gone on longer than any of us have lived. What he does is simple, but it is powerful. He teaches children how to have belief in something they can’t see or touch.
It’s a big job, and it’s an important one. Throughout your life, you will need this capacity to believe: in yourself, in your friends, in your talents and in your family. You’ll also need to believe in things you can’t measure or even hold in your hand. Here, I am talking about love, about Jesus, that great power that will light your life from the inside out, even during its darkest, coldest moments.
Santa is a teacher, and I have been his student, and now you know the secret of how he gets down all those chimneys on Christmas Eve: he has help from all the people whose hearts he’s filled with joy.
With full hearts, mom's like me take our turn helping Santa do a job that would otherwise be impossible.
So, no. I am not Santa. Santa is love and magic and hope and happiness. I’m on his team, and now you are, too. So please remember that there are many children you still believe and know that it is your responsibility to not take the gift of Santa away from them, away from their mom and dad.
All my love,
Mom

1 comment: