Saturday, July 21, 2012

Magnificent Shield

Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:2)


Fixing my eyes on Jesus.

Loss, grief, sadness, missing, joy, love, laughter, smiles, tears, these are all very much apart of my day, my moments.  There have been moments that all I could say "fix my eyes on you Lord, fix my eyes on you Lord".  Begging Him to give me the strength to crawl out of this pit of despair that grief can send you spiraling into.

When Jesus saw me lying there, and knew that I had already been a long time in that condition, He said to me, “Do you wish to get well?”  (John 5:6)

I called on Him and he answered "Beloved I will lift you out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; I will set your feet on a rock and give you a firm place to stand." (Psalm 40:2)

The author and perfecter of faith.

An author is an originator or creator, as of a theory or plan. The Greek word translated “author” can also mean captain, chief leader or prince.  Christ is the originator of our faith, He begins it, as well as the captain and prince or our faith. Jesus controls our faith, steers it as a captain steers a ship, and presides over it and cares for it.  Perfecter in the Greek translation means literally “completer” or “finisher” and speaks of bringing something to its conclusion.

“And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” “In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory” (Philippians 1:6; Ephesians 1:13-14).

I read a bumper sticker one day that said, "If God is your Co-pilot you better move over and make Him your pilot."  Each day choosing to live in the will of God, knowing that there is nothing that can not go through His sovereign hands.   Honestly wrestling with the Lord when I don't understand why it has to hurt so much.  I don't understand why prayers are not answered in the time frame I want.  Believing that even when it hurts, He is the author of my Faith and he is guiding me to perfection, to holiness.  I press on, not looking behind me, not looking ahead of me but fixing my eyes heavenward because He will guide me, because He loves me, because He created me and I want to be all that He desires me to be.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:14)

For the joy set before Him He endured the cross scorning it's shame.

"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." (Luke 22:42)  Jesus knew that the shame and the brutality of the cross was too much to bear.  He knew that He could only accomplish this by knowing that this was His father's will for His life.  God gave me a Savior.  A Savior who wept, a Savior who loves me, a Savior who prayed, a Savior who washed the feet of sinners, a Savior who walked with sinners, a Savior who was assassinated on a cross, a Savior who did it all for the joy set before Him.  I serve a God who loves me so much that He gave His only son so that I will not perish but have everlasting life.  (John 3:16)


Sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. (Hebrews 4:16)

Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died--more than that, who was raised to life--is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. (Romans 8:34)

He intercedes for me, His grace is sufficient and my Savior gives mercy after tender mercy in my time of need.  He is my Faithful and True.

This is how God-breathed word works.  Every word of God is flawless; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. (Proverbs 30:5) In my most vulnerable moments, when my flesh fails me when my heart fails me,  His word is a magnificent shield that moment after moment protects my soul.  My refuge is in Him and I am in Him when I am in the word, in His living and active word.


2 comments:

  1. I abosolutly hear God speaking to me through you! I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessed be the name of the LORD.

    And ditto what Sheila said!

    ReplyDelete